Monday 18 November 2013

Masthead Ideas

I know my magazine is going to be called PULSE. However, I needed to decide on a font for the magazine.  I selected Gill Sans Ultra Bold Condensed.  I felt this was a solid choice, it looked good already, so I decided to try and make it more unique.


Here I wanted to create a central image within the text.  I decided to go for the outline circle as it created the image of a spot light.  Often associated with dance music.  Next I took this idea and decided to add more across the Masthead.

 
Here is the after effect. I think this could look good on the front of my magazine.  However, I will have to be careful with the colours as I am planning to have a purple background at first.  However, this may change.
Next I decided to change the colours and style completely.  I went for a white front, and tried to create a "whispy" effect.  I also added a star effect to the font.
 
 
I believe this may look the best up to now.  It has a particular house style and doesn't look as "wordart" as the previous ideas.  I think the star effect creates a certain flashing atmosphere and the colours would work well with a purple background. 
Next I kept this idea on board.  However, I wanted to take the Flashing light effect further, as dance music is mainly involved with lasers and flashing lights.
 
 
Here you can see the effect has come off.  I am most happy with this design and it appears to fulfil what I intended to do.  Whether this would look good on the front of a magazine I am not to sure.  I think the design may be to "out of the ordinary", however, it is yet to be seen.  This design was popular when I asked for 2nd opinions throughout my fellow classmates.
 
 
Here are another final two designs.  These kept with the theme of being slightly out of the ordinary, so again, im not sure if they will work on a magazine.  Having said that, I do believe that the heading on top, has the most appeal.
 
I decided to go for a more "acceptable" font.  Plain white with a black outline could look good on a black or purple background.  Here I my attempt at making it unique to myself.
 
 
 
From here I will need to look at some more standard fonts.  These will follow more towards a trend shown in professional magazines and my research.  Then I will need to make a decision.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment